Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I Wish I Could See the Past

When we were looking at properties for sale, we knew what was important was the bones of the place: room layouts, whether there was laundry hook-up in-suite, etc. So we fell in love with the unit that is now ours because it had a walk-in wardrobe, a huge sundeck and a gas fireplace (bonus: gas is included in the condo maintenance fee). 

It was only the second or third time we went to the apartment that I realized there was something unusual about the previous owners' decor preferences. Orange walls, for starters. 


The apartment has a different color in almost every room. In the adjoining kitchen, which is essentially partially open to the orange living/dining room, the walls are light blue (although you can't really see it very clearly in this photo).


And that's the same color as the bedroom (hey, I said "almost" every room).


The bathroom walls are purple, with blue tiles on the bathtub surround. I actually don't mind this color combination.


Although I do kinda mind the movie-star lighting...


And the wardrobe/laundry room, which connects the purple bathroom to the blue bedroom, has white walls.


When we dug the contents of the storage locker, which is outside our unit, we found, shall we say, interesting decor items. Case in point, this larger-than-life profile portrait of an Indian man. Note its size relative to Vee's freakishly large hand (his pinky is the long-lost identical twin of my index finger).

 
When I asked Vee to hold his hand by the picture for size comparison, he decided it would be funny to put his finger there and then giggled like a schoolboy. I did a quick Google image search to check if the Indian man was in fact a religious figure, just so I wouldn't offend anyone with the photo. Try as I might, I couldn't find anything on the man in the photo. Which confuses me: if he's not anyone famous, then what's he doing on a that monstrously-sized canvas?

Or maybe he's the previous owner? Note to self: ask neighbors about ethnicity of previous owner. And whether he had a mustache.

We also found this drawing, which wouldn't look out of place in my grandma's home.

 
And this strange mesh of serene coastal scene, wild tribal design and textured wood.


I so wish I could see the apartment in all its huge-portraits-and-kitten-drawings-and-wooden-beach-pictures glory.

2 comments: